Simonstone Village within the Ribble Valley Lancashire
Simonstone is a small, largely residential village located in the south- easterly corner of the Ribble Valley. The village straddles the A671, between Padiham and Whalley, and is bounded on its southerly edge by the River Calder. The village of Simonstone dates back to the 13th century.
The spiritual, cultural and social centre of Simonstone village is its church and school. Bisecting these two places of worship and education runs the oldest road in the locality, the former "King's Highway", joining Lancaster and Manchester. The house at the School cross-roads is the former Toll Bar. test
Land to the north of the Simonstone village is primarily farming land; the farms being tenanted from the Huntroyd Estate. To the south of the village is a busy industrial estate, accommodating Fort Vale Engineering , Dept of Work & Pensions, and Time Technology Park that accommodates several smaller businesses.
Simonstone Local Amenities:
- Simonstone Tennis Club, though 'off the beaten track', provides a valuable sporting facility.
- Golf courses at Whalley, Great Harwood and Clitheroe.
Simonstone Parish Landmarks:
- Huntroyd Hall or Huntroyd Demesne (known locally simply as 'Huntroyd') is a 16th century house and estate. The hall was established in 1576 for the Starkie family. In the mid-19th century, the house was re-built in the Georgian-style. The house and grounds are not open to the public. However, the estate is fragmented by public footpaths, roads and farms.
- Simonstone Hall dates from the 17th century and was originally the home of the Whitaker family. It is a privately-owned listed building. The house was substantially re-built in the 18th century as an early example of Jacobian revival architecture.
Places to visit near Simonstone:
- Clitheroe - A market town dominated by a Norman castle
- Gawthorpe Hall, Padiham - Elizabethan mansion owned by the National Trust
- Whalley Abbey - 13th Century Monastic Foundation
- Pendle Hill & The Trough of Bowland